Created by the Pfister brothers for a 1950 design competition and inaugurated in 1952, the Balgrist Church in Zurich's Hirslanden district, occupies a prominent and elevated position close to several hospital buildings. The church serves as a sanctuary of silence and peace, and furthermore serves as a meeting place for church services, lunches, concerts, film nights, and a café which complements an idyllic garden in the summer months.
Designed for a competition, the spatial extension connects as a 5-metre-wide space to the existing gallery. This new addition appears as a large piece of wooden furniture that rests, as a room cushion, against the original stone structure. The design further introduces a layer of cupboards in a kitchenette and precisely positioned stairs, frames, and an enclosed meeting box for private discussions. Upon entering this intimate, box-like space, visitors are welcomed by an ambiance of an archaic dwelling. A generously sized skylight carved into the gable spatially references the exterior.
The ground floor of this new space can be conveniently integrated into the larger hall with the help of a mobile and foldable partition. On the floor above, meeting and seminar areas acts as a filter between the open office and individual desks. Acoustic curtains, adjustable as needed, provide controlled visibility. These curtains are adorned with abstract sun motifs, reminiscent of the building's original plasterwork.